A third of Americans miss out on healthy sleep (defined as 7 hours or more) on a regular basis. 4 percent of these individuals turn to prescription sleep medication to help them sleep. Unfortunately, prescription sleep medication can be habit-forming, with dangerous side effects.
Fortunately, for those suffering from insomnia and difficulty falling asleep, there may be a new, safer solution: CBD oil.
CBD oil’s benefits for sleep are still being studied, but thus far, the research indicates that CBD may help relieve insomnia through its effect on the underlying condition causing said insomnia. In other words, studies have found that when individuals take CBD oil to improve their chronic pain, anxiety, or epilepsy, they tend to enjoy better sleep as a result. Participants take less time to fall asleep, and they tend to get more sleep overall.
Given the importance of sleep to our overall health and wellbeing, any new sleep product is a welcome addition to the market. One emerging option is CBD sleep aids like CBD PM. This CBD tincture won the 2020 Product of the Year awards in the CBD Sleep Aid Category.
What Are the Product of the Year Awards?
Established 30 years ago, the Product of the Year Awards recognize product innovation and excellence. The awards are voted on by tens of thousands of consumers and held in 38 countries, making them the world’s largest consumer-voted award for product innovation.
In recognition of the growing popularity of CBD oil, 2020 marked the first year the organization created market categories just for CBD brands. cbdMD took home awards in both the CBD Sleep Aid and CBD Topical categories, making the brand the first to win Product of the Year for CBD products.
What Is a CBD Sleep Aid?
In general, CBD has anti-anxiety and calming properties that may help anyone relax. As a result, many people choose to take CBD oil before bed to help them fall asleep. A CBD Sleep Aid, however, often includes other ingredients formulated to help induce sleep and relaxation.
For example, CBD PM, the Product of the Year winner, includes 500mg of CBD, along with 150mg of melatonin and a 250mg blend of other calming herbs like valerian root, passionflower, hops, chamomile, and lemon balm. How do these help you sleep?
- Melatonin is your body’s “sleep hormone,” responsible for kicking off the process that makes you sleepy. It’s commonly taken as an over-the-counter supplement to help people get more sleep. The 5mg serving provided by CBD PM is the recommended dosage of melatonin for adults.
- Valerian root is a herb with demonstrated therapeutic potential for insomnia, anxiety, and headaches.
- Passionflower extract has been shown to relieve general stress and anxiety.
- Chamomile flower, a popular ingredient in sleepytime teas, calms the nerves, which has positive effects for those suffering from anxiety, depression, or insomnia.
- Cascade hops have a natural sedative effect that’s proven useful for relieving insomnia, primarily due to its activation of the brain’s GABA neurotransmitter and inhibition of the central nervous system.
- Lemon balm has anti-anxiety effects that may facilitate sleep. Like hops, this occurs as a result of the herb’s effect on the GABA receptor, which, when activated, encourages sleep and reduces stress.
CBD PM offers a potent, but safe, blend of ingredients that may help restless minds fall asleep. cbdMD recommends taking a serving 30 minutes before you want to fall asleep. A bottle of CBD PM includes thirty 1ml servings, each of which include a dose of 16mg of CBD, 5mg of melatonin, and 8mg of the herbal blend. This CBD sleep aid also has a subtle mint flavor, derived from natural ingredients.
It’s worth noting that all cbdMD products, including CBD PM, are THC-free CBD oils. All of their products contain 0% THC, so you can enjoy 100% of the CBD without worrying about any side effects of THC. The company sources their organic, non-GMO hemp from domestic U.S. farms, and uses vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO secondary ingredients. Everything is third-party tested by independent lab SCLabs, with Certificates of Analysis available on the website.