We choose our product recommendations independently, however, we may receive compensation for purchases made through our site. Learn More
Our Favorite CBD Oils for Pets
While we’re an educational organization whose mission is to help dispel the myths of CBD, we also want to help consumers find the products and the brands that we know and trust. The list below represents our favorite brands and the CBD oils for pets that they produce.
Over two-thirds (68%) of Americans own a pet. Since you’re reading this guide, we’re guessing you’re one of them. Your furry loved one may be a dog, a cat, a bird, or something more exotic. Whether they have fur or feathers, your pet feels like a part of your family, and you’d do anything to keep them happy and healthy.
In furtherance of that goal, many pet owners seek out fun enrichment toys, science-backed meal plans, and substances thought to promote health for their pets. One of those options is CBD oil.
CBD oil has become quite popular among humans in recent years, due to the wide range of health benefits it offers. Now, researchers are finding that many of those same benefits can also help out our four-legged friends. This makes sense given that we and our pets both have endocannabinoid systems.
While the research on CBD oil among cats and dogs is still in its infancy, thus far the results are promising. For pets, CBD oil appears to help relieve anxiety, reduce pain and inflammation, and give their immune systems an overall boost.
In this guide, we’ll review everything you need to know about CBD oil for your pets, from the types of products you can buy to finding the right dose.
Reviews of the Best CBD Oils for Pets
|CBD Content & Concentration||250mg per 30mL bottle|
|Ingredients||Medium-chain triglycerides from coconut oil, phytocannabinoid-rich hemp oil|
|Type of CBD||Full-spectrum|
|Shipping||Free shipping to all 50 states|
|Price Range (May Vary)||$38.95|
|Discount||15% off – |
SabaiDee is a California-based company that places a great deal of emphasis on transparency, quality, customer service, and giving back. Their CBD pet oil is made using a straightforward combination of just MCT oil and hemp oil. It comes in one concentration that is suitable for use with pets of a variety of sizes.
This tincture is made using full-spectrum CBD, so it may contain small, trace amounts of THC.
Their CBD and products are all tested in-house as well as through third-party companies. SabaiDee works with multiple third-party labs like ProVerde Laboratories and Innovatical Laboratories. Copies of test results are available for every product in a dedicated section on the SabaiDee website.
SabaiDee sources the hemp for their CBD from an organic farm in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
SabaiDee currently offers free shipping on all orders, with a typical delivery window of about 3-5 business days. A Rush Shipping option is available for an added fee. They ship to all 50 states.
Unopened and unused products can be returned within 30 days for a refund, minus any return shipping costs. If there is an error with the delivery on SabaiDee’s part, they’ll provide a full refund or exchange at no extra cost.
SabaiDee carries a number of products besides CBD tinctures for pets. They have CBD chews, a comfort balm, and an extensive selection of CBD tinctures for humans, with multiple options for flavoring, THC-content, and CBD concentration.
Get 15% off with our discount. Code = CBDOrg
Read our SabaiDee Review
|CBD Content & Concentration||Dog oil: Bottles range from 125-500mg of CBD|
Concentrations range from 4.2mg/mL to 17.7mg/mL
Cat oil: 125mg per 30mL
|Ingredients||Dog oil: Organic hemp, MCT oil|
Cat oil: Hemp oil, MCT oil
|Type of CBD||Dog oil: Broad-spectrum|
Cat oil: Full-spectrum
|Shipping||Ships to US, with free shipping available on orders over $40|
|Price Range (May Vary)||Dog oil: $49.99-$89.99 |
Cat oil: $49.99
|Discount||20% off – |
Honest Paws is a company that produces a variety of high-quality CBD products for pets. They have multiple CBD tinctures for dogs and one specifically for cats, all based around a similar formula of hemp and MCT oil. Each of the oils for dogs has a different concentration of CBD intended for different sizes of dogs. They also have a CBD oil formula for horses.
The CBD tincture for dogs is made using broad-spectrum CBD and should be THC-free, while the oil for cats is made using full-spectrum CBD and may contain trace amounts of THC.
Honest Paws works with multiple companies to third-party test their CBD and products, including Botanacor and DB Labs. Copies of test results are available on the Honest Paws website as well as on some individual product pages.
Honest Paws ships to the US through multiple carriers, depending on the shipping option selected. Standard shipping goes through DHL or USPS and has a typical delivery window of 2-6 business days. Free shipping is available on orders over $40, and is carried through standard shipping. Express shipping is handled by UPS and usually takes about 2 business days.
Contact Honest Paws to initiate a return or exchange. They have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee period.
Honest Paws makes a few other CBD pet products besides their oils. They have CBD soft chews, dog treats, and CBD-infused peanut butter.
Take 20% off using our exclusive discount. Code = CBDOIL
|CBD Content & Concentration||Bottles range from 240-1450mg of CBD|
All bottles have a concentration of 48mg/mL
|Ingredients||Organic hemp oil, full-spectrum hemp extract|
|Type of CBD||Full-spectrum|
|Shipping||Free shipping to US|
Paid international shipping available
|Price Range (May Vary)||$38.50-$179|
|Discount||20% off – |
NuLeaf Naturals is a Colorado-based company that focuses on making natural, high-quality CBD oil tinctures. Their tincture for pets comes in multiple sizes and one CBD concentration of 48mg/mL. This is on the higher end of concentrations, but it also means the one tincture can be used for pets of a variety of sizes.
Their tincture is made using full-spectrum derived CBD, so it may still contain very, very small amounts of THC.
NuLeaf Naturals’ CBD and products are third-party tested by ProVerde Laboratories. Copies of test results are available on a section of the NuLeaf Naturals website as well as on individual product pages.
They source the non-GMO hemp for their CBD from family farms in Colorado. The CBD and oil tinctures they produce are both certified organic.
Their oils ship anywhere in the US as well as to a large number of countries internationally. All domestic orders come with free shipping.
Full refunds are available within 30 days of the purchase date on any unopened and unused products, minus any return shipping fees. NuLeaf will cover return shipping in the result of an error with the delivery on their part.
NuLeaf Naturals also makes CBD oils in a wide range of concentrations for humans.
Use our code to get 20% off. Code = CBDORG20
Read our NuLeaf Naturals Review
|CBD Content & Concentration||Dog oil: Bottles range from 150-3000mg of CBD|
Concentrations range from 5mg/mL to 100mg/mL
Cat oil: Bottles contain 300mg of CBD
Concentration is 10mg/mL
|Ingredients||Dog oil: CBD, MCT oil (Peanut butter extract in peanut butter flavor)|
Cat oil: CBD, MCT oil (Catnip flavor has catnip extract)
|Type of CBD||Broad-spectrum|
|Flavors||Dog oil: Natural, peanut butter|
Cat oil: Natural, catnip
|Shipping||Free shipping to US, no international shipping|
|Price Range (May Vary)||Dog oil: $19.99-$149.9|
Cat oil: $29.99
|Discount||15% off – |
cbdMD manufactures a wide range of traditional and niche CBD products. Their CBD oils for pets are made using a combination of CBD, MCT oil, and flavoring extracts. The oil for dogs comes in natural and peanut butter flavors, with multiple concentrations to suit dogs of different sizes and breeds. The cat oil is available in a natural flavor and a relatively unique catnip flavor. They also have a calming oil for dogs made with a blueberry flavor and an oil for horses.
Their tinctures are all made using broad-spectrum derived CBD, so they should have no THC content.
SC performs third-party testing on cbdMD’s CBD and products. Copies of Certificates of Analysis are available for each of cbdMD’s products in a dedicated section of their website. You can also look up the test results for products you’ve ordered by batch number. Their CBD is derived from US hemp that is vegan and non-GMO.
Their products ship free to the US through USPS or UPS. International shipping is not available at this time.
Products are eligible for return within 30 days of the date of purchase. One return or exchange is allowed per customer. cbdMD examines and approves all return requests at their discretion.
Claims on any damaged shipments have to be made within 3 days of the delivery date to qualify for a refund.
cbdMD also produces CBD dog treats, chews, CBD-infused peanut butter, and a CBD pet balm. Outside of the pet sphere, cbdMD makes several different CBD topicals, capsules, gummies, bath bombs, and tinctures.
Use our exclusive discount and get 15% off. Code = CBDOILS
Read our cbdMD Review
|CBD Content & Concentration||Bottles range from 150-600 mg of CBD|
Concentrations range from 5mg/mL to 20mg/mL
|Ingredients||Organic hemp, MCT oil|
|Type of CBD||Full-spectrum|
|Shipping||Ships to US |
Free shipping available on orders over $75
|Price Range (May Vary)||$30-$44 |
|Discount||15% off – |
CBDistillery is a transparency-oriented Colorado company that makes a wide variety of affordable CBD products. Their pet oil is made using full-spectrum CBD with hemp seed oil as its carrier oil, making it a useful option for those looking to avoid MCT oil. It comes in two concentrations which can capture the range of most common pets.
Their pet tincture is made using full-spectrum CBD, so it may contain small, trace amounts of THC.
ProVerde Laboratories third-party tests CBDistillery’s CBD and products. Copies of lab results are available on the CBDistillery website and as images on individual product pages. Every CBDistillery CBD product also has a QR code printed on the packaging that you can scan to see that product’s test results.
CBDistillery derives the CBD for their products from hemp grown on US farms. The hemp is all non-GMO and raised using natural farming methods. Their products are made within the guidelines of and certified by the US Hemp Authority.
They ship anywhere in the US via UPS, with free shipping offered for orders over $75. Products can be returned within a window of 7 days from the date of delivery, provided they are unopened and unused.
CBDistillery has a lot of products outside of their pet tincture, like CBD isolate powder, capsules, CBD vape pens, softgels, gummies, and oils.
Take 15% off using our exclusive discount. Code = CBDORG15
Read our CBDistillery Review
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is one of many chemical compounds (known as cannabinoids) that occur naturally in the cannabis plant. Manufacturers use carbon dioxide or a solvent like olive oil to extract CBD oil from the plant. As the solvent goes through the plant, it absorbs CBD. After extraction, the solvent evaporates, resulting in a concentrated form of pure CBD.
While it’s growing in popularity, CBD is less well-known than another cannabinoid that’s found in the cannabis plant. THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, also comes from cannabis and it’s known for producing the “high” of marijuana. While they both come from the same plant, CBD contains no psychoactive properties and will not get you (or your pets) high.
Also unlike THC, hemp-derived CBD is federally legal. Be sure to take a close look at your local CBD laws when trying to determine if CBD is right for your needs. Although CBD is federally legal, individual states are given permission to oversee hemp production and, by extension, how their state’s CBD laws operate. The legal status of CBD is currently either illegal or unresolved in three states: Idaho, Nebraska, and South Dakota. Counties and cities within states where CBD is legal may also choose to place their own restrictions on CBD and CBD products.
CBD’s lack of psychoactive properties makes it an attractive, legal option for anyone looking for an all-natural option to help promote their pet’s health.
While CBD can be beneficial for both humans and pets, it affects us differently. We’ll dig into the details in the following section.
CBD and the Endocannabinoid System in Pets
As mammals, humans, dogs, and cats all have an endocannabinoid system. The primary purpose of our endocannabinoid system is to help regulate our bodily functions and keep them in a balanced state. This includes our mood, appetite, pain response, and more.
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is composed of three main elements: endocannabinoids (which have a similar structure to external cannabinoids like CBD); cannabinoid receptors (to which the endocannabinoids and cannabinoids bind); and enzymes (which break down the endocannabinoids after they’ve served their use).
When pets (or humans, for that matter) ingest CBD, the extra cannabinoids add to their internal endocannabinoid numbers, boosting the effectiveness of the overall endocannabinoid system. The CBD binds to cannabinoid receptors to treat whatever issue is currently out of balance. Perhaps your pet’s appetite is low, so the CBD helps the ECS boost it. Alternately, if they’re feeling anxious during a lightning storm, the CBD helps the ECS calm them back down.
Depending on the particular issue affecting your pet, CBD will bind to specific receptors in their brain, including the vanilloid, adenosine, and serotonin receptors. This interaction helps their endocannabinoid system better regulate inflammation and pain perception, while also increasing dopamine levels in their brain—leading to a lift in mood and reduction in anxiety. There’s also growing evidence that CBD can have antitumor effects.
Benefits of CBD for Pets
The list of benefits CBD provides for pets is a long one. Studies show CBD can help relieve the following canine and feline conditions:
- Chronic pain and inflammation: When your pet consumes CBD, it targets cannabinoid receptors in the inflamed area where they are experiencing pain, whether from arthritis, old joints and hips, nerves, or something else. It also binds to receptors in the brain involved in serotonin production, boosting their mood and adjusting their perception of the pain. A small study found that a twice-daily 2mg/kg dose of CBD increased movement and reduced pain among dogs with osteoarthritis.
- Anxiety: Many dogs experience separation anxiety, or get nervous during fireworks or thunderstorms. Meanwhile, both cats and dogs alike can get nervous about going to the vet or driving in the car. Several studies demonstrate that CBD can have an anxiolytic, or anxiety-reducing, effect in humans and other mammals through their endocannabinoid systems. Pet owners could give their pets CBD before they leave home for work, or before they get in the car, helping to relieve their anxiety before the stressful event.
- Seizures: Both dogs and cats can have epilepsy, although it’s less common among cats. For owners of pets with epilepsy, seizures are an extremely distressing experience. Problematically, many of the drugs prescribed to treat canine or feline epilepsy negatively impact their mood and energy levels, and can lead to even worse outcomes like kidney or heart failure. Fortunately, CBD has proven to be extremely effective in reducing the frequency of seizures for humans (in fact, the only currently FDA-approved drug with CBD is for pediatric epilepsy), and it seems it could do the same for our furry friends, too.
- Cancer and related nausea: Nausea is a common side effect of the medications prescribed to dogs and cats with cancer. CBD could significantly reduce nausea, improving the quality of life for these animals. Furthermore, some studies indicate that CBD may be able to slow or inhibit cancer cell growth.
- Skin and fur problems: Just as people may take CBD to improve their acne or psoriasis, CBD has similar beneficial effects for dogs and cats. If your pet has dry, itchy, or otherwise irritated skin, CBD could help soothe their skin while making their fur softer, shinier, and stronger.
Even if your pet isn’t dealing with one of these issues, a daily dose of CBD could be a smart preventative measure.
Types of CBD Oil for Pets
The name CBD oil is confusing to some, as CBD is available in many more formats than just oils. The most common CBD products for pets include:
- CBD oil tinctures: These oil bottles contain CBD oil and a dropper, which you can use to add drops of the oil to your pet’s food or drink, or apply it sublingually to their tongue. It’s often easiest to measure out specific doses with CBD oil tinctures.
- CBD capsules: CBD capsules resemble the pills you might otherwise give your cat or dog. They’re small enough to hide or smush into their food, or you may be able to open them and spread the powder over their food.
- CBD dog treats: CBD treats are more commonly made for dogs, but they resemble any other kind of treat your dog enjoys, except that they contain CBD. With dog treats, you’ll want to double-check you’re okay with the other ingredients, as these will contain more calories than the other types of CBD products.
- CBD topicals: CBD topicals are balms, salves, and topical sprays you can apply directly to your pet’s body, by rubbing it into their fur or paws as a nice massage. These can be a good option for skin and fur issues, or canine arthritis. With these, check if the product is safe for your pet to eat. If it’s not, make sure you apply it in an area they won’t be able to reach with their tongue.
Which Product Should You Choose?
When applied sublingually, CBD oil tinctures are the fastest-acting of these methods, as they allow the CBD to directly enter your dog’s bloodstream under the tongue. This makes oil tinctures best for treating acute conditions, like a thunderstorm.
We recommend CBD oil tinctures for any condition, though, since the dropper allows you to consistently measure out the right dose for your pet. Further, one clinical study of dogs observed that tinctures provided the highest rates of absorption by the bloodstream. If your pet isn’t agreeable to a sublingual tincture, adding the oil to their food is a good compromise.
However, some pet owners prefer CBD capsules or treats. It’s important to note that with these methods, the CBD will travel through your pet’s digestive system first, so it will take longer for them to feel the effects. Depending on your pet’s metabolism, this could take 45 minutes to over an hour, so you’ll want to time the dosage accordingly (say, 45 minutes before you go for the anxiety-producing car ride).
How Much CBD Do You Give Your Pet? Finding the Right Dose
Unfortunately, because CBD is a newer substance seeing use, there are no official dosing guidelines available for CBD. However, there are cautious practices you can follow. The general rule of thumb is to provide your pet with 0.2mg of CBD for every 1 pound of their body weight.
If this concerns you, we recommend trying CBD oils instead. Oil tinctures provide the best way to consistently measure out a dose, and they also tend to have the highest rates of absorption by the bloodstream.
|Pet’s body weight||Starting dose of CBD|
Is CBD Oil Safe for Pets?
Research is still young on the subject, but CBD oil seems to be generally safe for dogs and cats. Recent studies have found little in the way of side effects for pets. Interactions between CBD and pets, as well as any long-term effects, will become clearer as research develops. That being said, every pet is different, so it is always good to be cautious when introducing a new substance to your pet’s routine. Always start with the lowest recommended dose and only give CBD to adult dogs or cats.
The most common side effect of CBD is slight drowsiness, which is often more present at the beginning of a CBD regimen. More extreme, although very rare, side effects may include nausea, dry mouth, vomiting, or changes in blood pressure. If you notice any of these, or if your pet starts acting very odd or drooling excessively, stop the CBD regimen and inform your veterinarian of any abnormalities.
Another problem occurs when people give their pets CBD oil sourced from marijuana, as opposed to hemp. Hemp-sourced CBD oil contains 0.3% THC or less, but marijuana often contains 5% to 20%. THC can be toxic to both dogs and cats, and depending on where you live, it may also be illegal.
THC is especially dangerous for dogs because they have a higher number of CB1 receptors in their brain than humans do, and these are the receptors THC primarily bonds to. When either dogs or cats ingest THC, it can increase their anxiety and cause negative side effects like vomiting. To avoid this, only purchase CBD oils sourced from industrial hemp. These will contain 0.3% THC or less, will not get your pet “high,” and will be safer for your dog or cat to consume.
Finally, pets should only be given CBD oil that was made for pets. Pets should not take CBD oil for humans, and vice versa (humans should not take CBD oil for pets). Due to the differences in our endocannabinoid systems, taking a CBD oil that was designed for another species can lead to adverse effects. Further, human CBD oil may contain sweeteners that can be toxic for pets.
As CBD oil for pets is still a new and growing industry, it’s important to take a few extra precautions to ensure the product you’re buying will be as safe as possible for your pet.
- Only purchase CBD oils that are sourced from hemp. These will contain higher amounts of beneficial CBD, and 0.3% THC or less. As a result, they’ll be safe for your pet to use, legal no matter where you live in the U.S., and they will not get your pet high or cause other unintended side effects.
- Know the difference between CBD oil and hemp oil (or hemp seed oil). While both come from the cannabis plant, hemp oil only comes from the seeds of the plant. These seeds contain very little CBD. While hemp oil is vitamin-rich and is a favored nutritional supplement, it will not provide the beneficial effects of CBD oil. Those are only available with CBD oil, which comes from other parts of the cannabis plant, like the leaves and flowers.
- Only buy from manufacturers that use responsible sourcing and testing practices. Reputable CBD manufacturers use third-party labs to test the safety of their ingredients and the concentration of CBD. They’ll also make these test results available online or in their physical product packaging. Further, they’ll source their CBD from organic, non-GMO hemp grown locally in the USA—reducing the chances that any toxins or pesticides will be included in the CBD oil.
- Use CBD cautiously. While the risk of side effects may be low, it is not impossible. If you are unsure of what dosage of CBD to give your pet, start small. Better to have too small of a dose than too large of one. Although hemp-derived CBD products contain minimal amounts of THC, you may choose to look for products with absolutely no THC content. Take care if your pet is taking any medication, as research on the interactions between drugs for pets and CBD is in its early stages at this time.
Want to learn more about CBD? Check out our information on the Best CBD Oil for Dogs, or read about CBD for humans: